Friday, March 4, 2011

Snacks on snacks, snacks fo' days

So I think that one of the reasons it is so damn hard to eat Paleo in college is that our lives are snack-orientated. We snack on our way to class, we snack on the way to the box, we snack while we study, we (at least I) eat our bodyweight in food when we get home drunk after a night of belligerance. I could recommend that we stop snacking but that is as futile an argument as telling Charlie Sheen that bi-winning isn't a real word. So what we need is food that is ready to be taken out the door or prepared in seconds and is both paleo and at least decently tasty. I can hear it now "but why don't you simply just pre-cook all your meals on Sunday for the week?" Look soccer mom, I have two priorities on Sunday and that involves recovering from a hangover and walking to the fridge for some ice cold water, if I'm feeling fiesty, I'll throw in some studying, that's it. Don't get me wrong, I cook an insane amount for a college kid, but that only means 4-6 times a week. So without further adieu here is my list of go-to snacks for the college kid:
  • Nuts, I prefer pistachios and almonds because they are easy to get but macadamia nuts are great as well. A reminder, peanuts aren't paleo (they're legumes)
  • Justin's nut butters (the non sugary kind: http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/products.php). The packets are awesome for a snack. Again, peanut butter doesn't count.
  • Fruit. Now I know that paleo stresses to eat more veggies than fruit but I'll be honest, I eat a lot of fruit. Especially, apples and bananas. Buying apples in bulk and leaving them in the fridge makes them last longer and taste better. Fruit is also extremely easy to find when you are away from home.
  • Sardine packets/Canned Tuna. My mom was a sadist when I was younger and fed me kippers all the time so I love the damn things, if you don't have a stomach for it, opt for tuna.
  • Lean burgers or turkey burgers are amazing. I have a forman grill and when I get back from class or a WOD I can plug it in throw two burgers on there, hop in the shower and when I am out I have burgers ready to eat. Ladies, I don't recommend this tactic unless you want burnt burgers.
  • Baby carrots. I eat these things by the pound. They are veggies that don't take any prep work. 
  • Chicken sausage. Getting quality sausages can at times be difficult. Look to make sure there's nothing like 'organic maple syrup' as if organic sugar makes it better for you. Throw those in a pan with enough hot water to cover half the sausage, put the pan on medium, cover the top and come back 10 minutes later and they are ready.
  • Beef jerky. Easy to find everywhere, watch out for added sugar.
  • Coconut water post WOD is awesome. Helps with replenishing your glycogen supplies and tastes great as long as you aren't hanging out with pukie.
Alright guys, you now have no excuse to not eat paleo when you are on the run. I'm off to go down a couple of a my favorite purple mountains. Until next time.

Beer=Paleo

No comments:

Post a Comment